Friday, January 6, 2012

Smitten | Toile de Jouy

Isn't it funny how your taste changes through the years? Growing up I had a toile-covered bedroom so the second I went away to college I banned the pattern + word from my vocabulary. Fast forward eight years to last week when I finally got around to watching Midnight in Paris.  One of my favorite scenes from the movie took place on a toile-covered bed in Paris' Le Bristol hotel. Toile de Jouy is the hotel's signature pattern, with each room decorated in the traditional fabric +  beautiful 18th century-inspired furnishings. After watching the scene I was immediately (re)smitten so I opened up my computer + searched for other chic uses of this French fabric.

I honestly thought of toile as a dated pattern but I think these rooms prove otherwise. I'm actually completely blown away by the way that designers have made this historical 242 year-old pattern (read about the history on Design Sponge) feel completely fresh by pairing it with florals or by using it in an unexpected hue. My favorite room has to be the back + white toile-covered bathroom--you know I can't get enough of this simple scheme--but doesn't the bright cerulean blue headboard also feel so modern? These designs have definitely inspired me to look at the pattern in a new light!  

(Images 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8)

9 comments :

  1. I had the same experience- but now I'm falling for it all over again :)

    XX Kathryn

    http://lacoquettedelamode.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved that movie too!

    Karling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted a Toile de Jouy wallpapered guest bedroom, but the bathroom is a great idea too! I'm not sure if I'd like something so busy in a small space, like a powder room, but I love the palette! Thanks for sharing the beautiful images!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought of the toile as chic french country..But that bathroom looks so modern, i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love toile! Thank you for posting such beautiful examples of how it can be used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love toile! I really need to see Midnight in Paris, I keep hearing such good things about it. That shot from the movie looks gorgeous, love the toile bedding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the first image... very cute and sexy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is the company and name for the pink red toile in the 7th photo? Love that one.

    ReplyDelete