Monday, March 25, 2013

Decorating with Texture


My bedroom is finally complete and I can't wait to share it with everyone!  I was trying to describe the design to one of my friends and as the words monochromatic, gray, tan, and white came out of my mouth I thought, wow that seems kind of boring and flat.  But the more I though about it and looked at the space I realized that the layers of textures are what make the room interesting.  Instead of accent colors or patterns I used textures and surfaces to add depth; a natural jute rug, silk curtains, fur pillows, linen bedding, shiny vintage mercury glass lamps, a high gloss vanity and warm wood dresser.  It's all about striking the perfect balance with texture and I think the rooms pictured above do just that.  Below are my tips and tricks for decorating with texture:


+ Flooring A textured natural fiber rug, like this jute boucle one from West Elm, will ground a space and makes the perfect base for layering a smaller vintage kilim or Flokati rug.  

+Walls Vertical surfaces and ceilings are a great places to play up texture. If you want a cozy look try  grasscloth, raffia or leather.  If you're more of a modernist try high-gloss paint or a lacquered wallcovering for an ultra sleek look. 

Furniture I think every room needs at least one piece of textured furniture.  Tweed, boucle, linen and velvet can all be mixed and matched to add depth and interest. Let this fantastic pair of vintage Italian chairs newly upholstered in creamy white wool boucle fabric serve as inspiration for your next thrift store furniture find.

Pillows No need to rely on trendy prints, add interest to your sofa with textured pillows.  I made a pillow for my bedroom using a vintage fur shawl but this nubby handwoven llama wool pillow from Jayson Home or black fringe pillow from Belkina would've also done the trick!

+ Accessories Mix objects found in nature like geodes, coral, horns and feathers with shiny brass figures and vintage pottery.


images one / two / three / four / five / six / seven / eight

4 comments :

  1. Love your thoughts/tips on texture! For now I am relying on our rugs for texture, but I'd love grasscloth in a room!! I am DYING to see your bedroom. I am working on ours right now! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm completely smitten - the architecture in the second room is stunning. I love a neutral color palette and your views on the different textures to keep a room from getting boring was so helpful - can't wait to see your room!! Thrilled to be your newest follower ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really impressed by how the dark colors really work in these rooms...can feel some inspiration coming on...

    ReplyDelete