Thursday, March 28, 2013

Family Photographs

My sister and I have had the "where to display family photographs"debate several times so I thought I would get my dear readers opinions.  I have no problem displaying a picture of my grandmother on my bedroom dresser and for some reason my sister thinks that it's beyond weird.  So I must ask, do you display your family photos and memories through out your home or do you keep them tucked away in an album?

I know I just posted about my love/hate relationship with salon walls but when I saw this photograph of magazine editor Darcy Miller Nussbaum's breakfast nook in Architectural Digest I was quite taken with the gallery arrangement of family photographs.  What I think I really like is that the photos are hung in an area where the family probably gathers daily for meals so they can really enjoy the pictures and be surrounded by memories why making new ones.  I also like that all of the black and white images are displayed in simple box frames because it's a great juxtaposition to that stunning light fixture!   This photo actually has me thinking maybe I should take the family photos out of my bedroom and arrange a cluster of them in a more neutral territory.  Thoughts?

10 comments :

  1. Very valid question! We share a bunch, like twenty, family photograps in silver frames on a table, thas where the collection is, and it stays there, only there...
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to have them through out, but now all photos are tucked away. My goal now are to enlarge only my favs to poster size, frame the same and line our hallway with them. Got this idea from Kris Jenner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you brought this up! I used to have pictures of my family and friends everywhere but for some reason, I took them all down. I only have a few up now. I don't think it's weird at all to have a pic of your grandma or your family, but I just am going through a non frame phase. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no problem with family photos spread throughout the home. I just don't like when it feels like a SHRINE to the people who live there. Like an entire gallery wall of their wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a gallery wall in my personal spaces - master bedroom, back hallways,etc, but I only put them where I am can enjoy daily. Love the gallery wall in your image!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful gallery - I love the color combos. I think they are great in every room but they really spice up a hallway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have most of my family photos in frames on the shelves in my master closet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it gives your home "soul" to have family photos around. I am good about editing, but I never want my home to look like a mold home and you have no idea who lives there. Your home should tell a story about you and what matters to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a few pics of my family on the side table next to our living room sofa in pretty frames but that is about it. I prefer a nice edited collection of your favorites spread around the home. However, I do really love this nice collection in the kitchen. I think this looks great! As silly as it seems, I think I watch too many design/real estate shows and I always hear the agents telling homeowners to take down the personal photos when they are trying to sell as others need to be able to imaging themselves living in the space and the personal photos make it hard. I think that is always in the back of my mind and may be why I have so few displayed. May need to rethink this after your post! Beth
    http://www.chicandglamorous.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just glad anyone produced this specific up! I previously had pictures of my family and friends all over the place however for a few cause, I had taken them straight down. My partner and i only have a few upward now. I don't believe it is strange in any way to get a picture of your respective granny or your family, however i merely am going by having a non shape phaseGold für World of Warcraft Rs To Gold

    ReplyDelete