Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Art | Massimo Listri

While searching for black and white floor inspiration I came across this image by Italian photographer Massimo Listri and something about really seemed to suck me in.  A horse hanging from the ceiling of the Castello di Rivilo museum in Torino, Italy?  I needed to find out more.  Upon further investigation I found that the horse was not hung by Listri but was in fact an art installation by New York artist Maurizio Cattelan

"Novecento, one of his most renowned works, is an unusual still life – a taxidermic horse suspended from the ceiling by leather slings. The horse’s legs are strangely elongated, as if gravity had stretched them downwards. This work makes reference to the 1976 film 1900 (pronounced Novecento in Italian) in which director Bernardo Bertolucci explores Italy’s painful passage to modernity."

I feel like taxidermy has been popping up in a lot of interiors lately (ie Ryan Korban's apartment blogged about here), so I have to ask, would you buy this piece?

4 comments :

  1. I appreciate the space(the floor is stunning), but I don't like that horse there at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The space is beautiful, but I feel sad for the horse. Not sure. Art is very subjective......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure about the horse but I've always wanted a taxidermy peacock

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure about the horse but I've always wanted a taxidermy peacock

    ReplyDelete