Friday, March 16, 2012

Wrap it Up!

Fabric wrapped furniture is nothing new, in the 1970s design greats like Albert Hadley and Billy Baldwin wrapped simple laminated forms like the Parsons table in printed cloth.  They were so chic!  Inspired by Albert, Billy, and the images below, I've decided to try my hand at wrapping it up.  My victim?  The Ikea Malm Dressing Table -- it's the perfect console table, generous in proportion and simple in design, great complement to my traditional sofa and modern Saarinen table. I still need to decided if I'm going to wrap the table in grasscloth, faux ostrich or linen -- what do you think?
Domino Magazine
Society Social

8 comments :

  1. Brilliant! I think I may need to make this idea happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh I have that table w/o the glass top and maybe I should consider wrapping it!!! Great idea!! xoxo Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see how you do this, Kristin--I would like to try this myself but don't really know how.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my West Elm console. I ordered some faux snakeskin fabric to do it with, really thin. I'll let you know how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. please give us a tutorial once finished as i would love to do this in my daughter's room.
    thinking the easiest would be the ostrich, assuming it is vinyl. heavy enough to live up to the wear and tear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I'd love to see finished photos and a tutorial! I think grasscloth or faux ostrich would be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so curious to see how this worked out! I've been contemplating a Rast dresser hack for a while and could use some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete