Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Design Guide | Headboards

It feels like I've been working on decorating my bedroom for so long now--I just haven't been able to make up my mind about a headboard! As you can see from the images above, the options are endless: square, curved, nailheads, no nailheads, fabric, color, height...the list goes on and on. Last Christmas by parents gave me money to buy a headboard (that money is long gone) and now, after almost a year of thinking about the style I've finally made up my mind. So dramatic, I know, but I want something classic and that will stand the test of time. Maybe I'm the only one out there with this issue but just in case I'm not, I thought I would share my design process:

.shape I'm going with a classic square shape. I considered my boyfriend in this decision--I thought about doing a triple arch but in the end it just seemed a little too feminine and trendy. A classic square shape makes a statement and can easily be changed up over time with a simple slipcover or by placing a beautiful antique textile down the center.

.dimensions High headboards are in and I get the appeal but knew I wanted to hang one large piece of art over the bed. I went back and forth about the height so I finally just taped a faux headboard on the wall (see above) and lived with it for a week--the visual representation made it click. Based on the height of my mattress, pillows, bedside tables/lamps and want to hang art I decided to make my headboard 57" high.

.fabric One word, solid. There are two reasons why I didn't want to use a pattern 1) I want my bedroom to be relaxing...the thought of hating the pattern a year from now would give me anxiety and cause sleep deprivation. 2) A standard queen headboard is 61" wide, standard fabric is 55" wide--matching the pattern can be tricky and expensive because you have to buy additional yardage. So solid it is--linen, cotton, velvet, it's really up to you.

.nailheads Since I don't want my headboard to be completely boring I've decided to add a double "x" pattern across the front. I thought about tufting but I have a tufted ottoman and I swear those tufts produce their own lint--I literally have to vacuum that thing twice a week. So again, back to the relaxing bedroom thing, the thought of having to vacuum my headboard twice a week would likely give me anxiety and cause sleep deprivation.

So there you have it, my guide to picking out the perfect headboard! Feel free to leave any additional pointers in the comments section below!

3 comments :

  1. I just went through the same exact process. Its been really hard for me for some reason. The fabric arrived today and my upholsterer is meeting with me this afternoon. Its finally finalized. And the best part is for the price he charges, I could do a new one every year and still not even come close to what it would be retail. Gotta love Juan :) Can't wait to see your pretty new one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you end up with! I love a classic tufted one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include.
    there

    ReplyDelete