Thursday, October 7, 2010

Design Hunter | Serena's Butterflies




Ah the butterfly installation hanging over Serena's bed in her new "dorm room"- it was love at first site!  I'm seriously tempted to try to recreate this look in my own home.  The piece, created by Paul Vallinski using crushed beer cans from the streets of New York, is comprised of more than 200 smoke-black butterflies.  I couldn't find a picture of the room online so I snapped one with my phone...please excuse the poor quality. 

"As the butterflies alight on the walls of my studio, they lead into an exploration of formal, painterly issues. Often, they want to gather into a certain shape, or fly off on a particular tangent, and I let them. They function both as marks in these abstract, three-dimensional “paintings,” and as actors in curious narratives. Some pieces develop a quirky, magic-realist quality, as if a strange child has trained the insects to perform some ritual dance we are not usually privy to. Finally, the butterflies operate symbolically, and I try to develop a conceptual unity between materials, process, and imagery: metamorphosing littered beer cans into flocks of butterflies mirrors the act of transformation and rebirth that butterflies symbolize across all cultures." Paul Vallinski

No comments :

Post a Comment