Monday, August 22, 2011

French Favorite | Louis Philippe Mirrors

082211_Louis_Philippe_Mirrors1
I've lived in my apartment for a little over a month now and it seems there's still a lot of empty space.  Take the empty wall above my sofa...I could easily run out and purchase a bunch of inexpensive prints to fill the wall but I'm not going to.  I've decided to wait to find pieces that I am absolutely in love with rather than rush to fill my home with meaningless things.  When I moved into my own apartment I made a wish list of items and since then I've been slowly saving and checking them off.

One of the first pieces I knew I needed to have was a Louis Philippe-style mirror - the simple lines, rounded corners and gilded finish really appeal to me.  I purchased the one pictured above at a Leslie Hindman Market Place Auction last year.  I got a little carried away when bidding but I know I will have this piece forever.  In my last apartment  it hung above a console table, now it's the starting point for a gallery wall above my sofa.  This piece is so versatile I know it will always find a place in my home.  Below are a few of my favorite ways designers have used Louis Philippe mirrors to liven up a space. Which one is your favorite?
082211_Louis_Philippe_Mirrors_Nate-Berkus_Anne_Coyle
Above the Sofa: Nate Berkus + Anne Coyle incorporated a Louis Philippe mirror into the gallery wall of this study.  I wish I could buy everything in this room, especially the Michael Hainey bird painting!082211_Louis_Philippe_Mirrors2
Above the Sofa: Jodi Webb shared this gorgeous Louis Philippe mirror on her blog, Cote de Texas.082211_Louis_Philippe_Mirrors3
Above the Fireplace: A Louis Philippe mirror hung above the fireplace reflects the surrounding room.082211_Louis_Philippe_Mirrors_House_And_Home 082211_Louis_Philippe_Mirrors_Lonny
In the Living Room: Laurann Claridge hung a Louis Philippe mirror over a 19th-century Biedermeier chest to create a beautiful tablescape.
082211_Louis_Philippe_Mirrors_Lonny_Palmer-Weiss
In the Bedroom: Palmer Weiss paired a Louis Philippe mirror with a vintage chest of drawers and various silver picture frames.082211_Louis_Philippe_Mirrors4
In the Entry:  A Louis Philippe mirror hung above a console table reflects light from a chandelier and makes the perfect place to take a quick peek before heading out. 082211_Louis_Philippe_Mirrors_Lonny2
In the Dining Room:  A floor mirror layered over a wall of mirrors adds depth.

3 comments :

  1. I've been looking for a gold mirror!!! Where did you finds yours? Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adore all the images! And I think it's so wise to wait and get what you want. M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!

    Alex - I bought the mirror at a Leslie Hindman auction last year. You should check out their market place auctions...I always find great stuff!

    ReplyDelete