1¼ cups whole milk
1¼ cups heavy cream
¾ cup mint leaves (1-2 bunches)
½ cup sugar
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
8 ounces dark chocolate chips or pieces
1. In a pot, heat milk and cream until hot. Add mint, cover and let steep until milk is cool, 1-3 hours.
2. Strain the steeped milk into a new pot and add remaining ingredients, whisking vigorously until fully combined. Whisk constantly over medium to medium-high heat until custard starts to thicken and pulls away from the sides, 5-10 minutes. You will know when the pudding is done, if, when you lift the whisk from the pot, an imprint of the whisk is left behind in the custard.
3. Strain pudding into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes, then chill 30 minutes to an hour.
4. When pudding is cold, mix in chips.
5. Make the pops: Place popsicle sticks (I love these ceramic ones by Pigeon Toe) into popsicle molds or disposable cups. Distribute pudding. For best results, freeze overnight to set.
(Recipe and first image via WSJ)